easily and freely - Science for elementary school, middle school and
Free online chemistry
lesson for elementary school, middle school and high school.
States of matter and their changes
about states of matter and their changes
The three states of matter
distinguish for water and other substances three different states:
Solid, liquid and gaseous states.
- In the solid state there are
glaciers, sea ices, hail and snow ( composed of tiny ice crystals ).
- In the liquid state there are rivers, seas, oceans, rain,
and also clouds and fogs (composed of tiny water droplets ).
- In the gaseous state there is water vapor always invisible to the
Water can change its state if temperature varies and under the action
of Sun and wind.
changes of state
- Melting (or fusion): transition from solid to liquid state.
- Vaporization: transition from liquid to gaseous state.
- Liquefaction (or condensation): transition from gaseous to liquid
- Solidification ( or freezing ): transition from liquid to solid state.
- Sublimation: transition from solid to gaseous state.
- Deposition: transition from gaseous to solid state.
The vaporization of a liquid may be gradual and natural (such as when
exposed to sunlight ). We then say that there is " evaporation ". It
can also be obtained by a rapid temperature rise which causes the
formation of gas bubbles: this is called " boiling ".
about states of matter and changes of state
- Sates of matter:
The three states and their properties at molecular scale ( with
animations to explain the molecules move in solids, liquids and gases )
- Solids and liquids: A game which
purpose is to shows differences between solid state and liquid state.
- Changing states: a flash game
about changes of state
- States of water worksheet: A
worksheet for kids where blank must be filled with changes of state (
evaporates, freeze, boils ...)
- Change of state worsheet: a three
pages worksheet about three states, changes of states, energy and
- States of matter activities: a pdf
document that provide various activities like card game about solids,
liquids and gases, or a game board.
- Changing states game: a flash game
in arctic about water and changes of state.
- States of matter experiment:
Various experiments explained with videos
©2021 Physics and chemistry