Atoms and chemical reactions
transformation is a process during which some substances disappear and
new substances are formed.
A chemical transformation can be described by a simple word equation:
- Substances which are consumed during a chemical transformation are
- Substances that are formed in a chemical transformation are called
Example: the combustion of carbon.
Carbon and dioxygen disappear therefore they are reactants.
Carbon dioxide is formed therefore it is a product.
Simple word equation for the combustion of carbon;
General rules for writing a simple word equation:
- The names of reactants are indicated on the left and separated by a +
- The names of products are indicated on the right separated by a +
- The names of those reagents and products are separated by an
Comment: the + sign means "reacts with" and arrow "to give". Then simpe
word equation should be read: "Carbon and dioxygen react to give carbon