easily and freely - Science for elementary school, middle school and
Free online chemistry
lesson for elementary school, middle school and high school.
and basic solutions
Chemical reaction between iron and hydrochloric acid
The purpose is to
chemical reaction between iron and hydrochloric acid.
- Iron powder (Iron powder is more reactive than compact iron )
- A hydrochloric acid solution.
- A test tube which allows a better observation.
Reaction between iron and
the formation of bubbles which indicate that a gas forms
To understand this chemical reaction we must identify the gaz, and
analyze the composition of the aqueous solution in order to check a
The test for hydrogen gas is positive. This reaction therefore produces
the resulting solution:
- A measurement of pH shows that the latter increased: the solution is
less acidic, hydrogen ions therefore have been consumed.
- The addition of silver nitrate leads to the formation of a white
precipitate which indicates that the chloride ions are still in
- The test for iron (II) ions is positive: Iron (II) ions
- The reactants are substances
initially gathered: iron and hydrochloric acid.
- Products are substances that have formed: dihydrogen and iron (II)
ions that form with chloride ions a solution of Iron(II) chloride
+ Iron(II) chloride
©2021 Physics and chemistry