How to realize a distillation ?
- 1: This is
the heating mantle used to heat the mixture to distill
- 2: This is the mixture to be distilled. It is heated to boiling.
- 3: This container is a flask.
- 4: The thermometer is used to control the temperature during the
- 5: The cooling water enters the condenser.
- 6: The cooling water leaves the condenser.
- 7: water condenser traversed by a cold water from a tap.
- 8: The liquid obtained by distillation is called a distillate.
2) Principle of distillation
mixture placed in the flask is heated until boiling. The water it
contains is then vaporized while the other compounds remain dissolved.
The water vapor passes through a condenser. Water vapor cools and
liquefies to form droplets. Thes droplets flow and form the distillate.
compounds initially dissolved in water, remain in the flask.
The distillate also called distilled water is formed of virtually pure
3) In which case can it be useful
to realize a distillation ?
The vaporization can be used to recover the solid compounds dissolved
in water nevertheless vaporized water is lost.
The main advantage of distillation is to obtain pure water.
There are more complex distillation techniques that allow separation of