The human body and its conductivity
The human body is a bad conductor (he would give a negative result with
the conductivity test) but it is not totally insulated and can still be
traversed by an electric current.
Dangers of the current depends on the voltage
The electric current is higher if the voltage is high.
- It is considered that in general 24 V is the voltage security: below
this voltage we do not feel dangerous effects of electric current.
- Above 70 V there is a risk of death if contact is made with wet hands.
Electric shock and its effects
When a human body is traversed by an electric current, we say it
suffers an electric shock.
An electric current may also cause an electrocution if the result is
death.Electric shock can cause effects varying from simple tingling to
respiratory paralysis, cardiac arrest, burns on the skin or internal
organs, as well as involuntary muscle contractions.
electric shock or
electrocution it is necessary
to take some essential
- Avoid handling electrical appliances in the presence of water.
- Do not strip electric wires.
- Remember to turn off power before changing a lamp.
- Do not push objects into electrical outlets and make them
inaccessible to young children.
- Do not open any electrical appliance in use.